Awards, Affiliations & Experience:
- Advocate of Peace Award, West Virginia Martin Luther King, Jr. State Holiday Commission (2014)
- Distinguished Mountaineer, Governor Earl Ray Tomblin (2013)
- West Virginia Municipal League Hall of Fame, West Virginia Municipal League (2012)
- Civil Rights Award, West Virginia Human Rights Council
- Key to the City of Selma, Alabama
- President’s Award, National League of Cities (2012)
- Municipal Official of the Year, American City & County Magazine (2006)
- Citizen of the Year, Harrison County Chamber of Commerce (2006)
- Councilmember for the City of Clarksburg, West Virginia (1985 – 1991)
- Mayor of the City of Clarksburg, West Virginia (1991 – 1993)
- Past President of the West Virginia Municipal League (1995)
- Board of Directors for the West Virginia Municipal League (20 years)
- Board of Directors for the National League of Cities
- President of the National League of Cities (2006)
- Member of the World Council and Executive Committee of the United Cities and Local Governments
Jim is a graduate of West Virginia University with a Bachelors in Education and studied Learning Disabilities as a post-graduate at West Virginia University and completed an RUPRI Fellowship to the European Union in Brussels, Belgium. A well-known leadership speaker, advisor and author, Jim has spent more than 20 years working with municipal governments and officials to bring innovative insights and solutions to their communities.
Jim has served in a variety of leadership roles in both the public and private sectors, including an extensive role as a former councilmember and mayor for the City of Clarksburg, West Virginia. He has considerable experience serving as the president and on the board of directors for many municipal organizations, including the West Virginia Municipal League and the National League of Cities. He is also an active member of the World Council and Executive Committee of the United Cities and Local Governments.
Jim is dedicated to community service and has been active locally and internationally with Habitat for Humanity, building homes for needy families in West Virginia, Poland, Hungary and New Orleans. He also enjoys spending time with his wife, children and grandchildren, and visiting their lake house at Crystal Lake in Doddridge County, West Virginia.