Awards, Affiliations & Experience:
- ICMA Special Liaison for Governance
- National Academy of Public Administration Fellow
- National Academy of Best Selling Authors
- Member of Who’s Who Worldwide
- Paul Harris Fellow in Rotary International
- ICMA 2004 Award for Career Development in Memory of L.P. Cookingham
- Best of Texas 2004 Visionary Award
- Past Chair of the Board of the International Policy Governance® Association
- Past Regional Vice-President for ICMA
- Past President of TCMA
- Past President of KACM
- Past Chair of the Kansas State Board of Technical Professions
- Past Board Member of the Kansas Water Authority
- Past Board Chair of United Way
- 2006 TCMA Mentoring Award in memory of Gary Gwyn
- Joy Sansom Mentor Award from the Urban Management Assistants of North Texas
- The National League of Cities Leadership Training Institute
Mike is a Cum Laude graduate of the University of New Hampshire with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Pittsburg State University with a Master of Business Administration and a charter graduate of the Carver Policy Governance® Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. He is a fully credentialed member of ICMA and is both a PE and RLS in Kansas. A published author of numerous governance-related books, Mike has also written best sellers with Brian Tracy and Jack Canfield. He also writes a regular column on governance for The Public Manager magazine. Mike has more than 35 years of experience in municipal leadership, management and governance.
Mike has served as the city manager of four celebrated university communities including Denton and Bryan, Texas; and Manhattan and Pittsburg, Kansas. A widely acclaimed leadership and motivational speaker, Mike has presented hundreds of programs internationally to state, local and national organizations.
When he’s not on the road speaking or conducting training, Mike and his wife enjoy taking their extended family to their ranch where they enjoy outdoor activities.